Friday, November 30, 2007

Derby appoints Jewell as manger


Derby County have appointed former Wigan Athletic manager Paul Jewell as head coach.The Rams parted company with Billy Davies on Monday and chairman Adam Pearson has wasted no time in finding a replacement.

Pearson told reporters: "Paul is a stand-out candidate with regard to management experience and I couldn't think of a better man for the job."

Jewell, who left Wigan after securing their Barclays Premier League safety on the final day of last season, emerged as Derby's prime target on Tuesday.Since leaving the JJB Stadium he has been linked with several jobs, including a return to his former club Wigan.

But Jewell said: "I wanted a rest from football, I've enjoyed my time off, I'm refreshed and I'm absolutely delighted to be here and really looking forward to challenge ahead." Jewell had resigned as Wigan boss at the end of last season declaring himself "physically and mentally drained"

He has been handed a three-and-a-half-year deal at Pride Park and speaking about his appointment, Jewell insisted he would not "wave the white flag" in the club's battle with relegation.Asked if he could keep the side up this season, he said: "Absolutely. If I don't believe it, if the players don't believe it, if the fans don't believe it we have no chance.It's going to be very difficult but I'm not here to wave the white flag. We're not adrift."

1 comment:

Aniyan said...

Your passion for the game and how you follow it is evident. why not add your opinions and impressions about the appiontments?
aniyan