Friday, November 30, 2007

Derby part company with Davis


Derby County have parted company with manager Billy Davies after a run of eight matches without a win.Davies led the Rams to promotion from the Championship last season but the club currently sit bottom of the Barclays Premier League after only one win this season.

"I have met with Billy Davies this morning and we have decided mutually in the best interests of both parties that to go our separate ways is the correct decision at this time," Derby Chairman Adam Pearson said in a statement on the club's official website.

"Billy Davies leaves Derby County with our best wishes and our genuine gratitude in achieving a magnificent promotion to the Premier League, where everyone connected with the club wanted to be.We wish Billy all the best for his future career and both parties will now move forward, which I am sure will lead to future success for Billy Davies and Derby County."

Derby have been beaten 5-0 by Arsenal and West Ham United this season and 6-0 by Liverpool. The Rams lost 2-0 at home to Chelsea on Saturday.Academy manager Kevin Thelwell has been appointed as caretaker manager on a temporary basis.

"We've agreed mutually to part our ways," said Davies. "It's football. We know the situation.It's time to move on. This is not the time to discuss anymore. It's time to move onto something new. I don't know what there is for the future. I'll wait and see.At this point I'd like to thank very much the staff and players and the fans, who have been magnificent.Everyone's been a pleasure to work with and I've enjoyed the great times I've had at Derby.I'm very, very proud walking out of these gates with what's been achieved. I'm walking out with my head held high.The one thing I can guarantee is that Billy Davies will bounce back and be a much better and stronger manager for this experience."

No comments: